Sunday, October 5, 2008

Caitlyn's Issues

Last night I was talking to my friend Caitlyn online. She sounded extremely upset.
Usually Cait is in good spirits, and although she is a minor substance abuser, she's pretty cool, and very mature for a 16 year old. She's one of my good friends, and I usually roleplay with her on Messenger.

Caitlyn is pregnant.

For two weeks her period has been late. She took the test last night to confirm, and her life is in trouble right now.
She lives in the States, in a community full of bible-thumpers. Her dad, real father too, hates her guts. Both her parents have threatened and warned her not to fool around, or she'd be kicked out of her home.

Caitlyn usually avoids issues, and dulls them with dope and drinking. However, this kind of issue literally grows with neglect. She won't be able to ignore it for long.
I told her, after a lot of consoling and info sharing, the best course of action for her.
I made it clear the best course of action would be to take her mother, the only parent who will possibly help her, aside for a private chat. Preferrably away from home and ground zero. I told her that she would have to muster up all of her resolve and strength, and do the bravest thing she'd ever have to do in her life: trust her parents.
A parent should have unconditional love for their kids, no matter what kind of strange community social expectations exist. Family comes first, at least, in my eyes. Hopefully she could talk with her mum and get her to understand how scared and dumb she feels right now, and how desperately she needs their help and support.

I talked to Cait this morning. She's in a numb state right now. I think very soon she'll come to my conclusion that I offered her: that there is no way around this, and she'll just have to hone up on this one.
Just as long as her parents don't ask who the father would be. Then some real serious shit would fly, and my advice would be useless.

Good luck Cait. I'm here for ya in spirit.

No comments: